Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Easy Paper Pennant Banner Tutorial

We recently celebrated my daughter's First Holy Communion and I wanted a simple "Congratulations" banner to hang for the occasion. I made this banner out of scrapbook paper and grosgrain ribbon in an afternoon. I opted to make a very simple banner, but it could be embellished to be as fancy as you would like it to be.

  • scrapbook paper
  • ribbon, twine or yarn
  • adhesive
  • hole punch

Step One:
Cut out your triangles--however many you need for your banner. I needed fifteen to spell out my word.

Step Two:
Cut out your letters. I used my Cricut to cut mine out, but you could use any sort of craft cutter or even use letter stickers (from the scrapbook section of the craft store), a stencil, or just use a marker.

Step Three:
Adhere your letters to the pennants. I used scrapbooking adhesive (a tape runner) for this step, but you could use a glue stick or whatever you have handy.

Step Four:
This step is skippable, but I'm addicted to my corner rounding punch, so I used that on the corners of each pennant. Here you can see that I used it on the "C" but hadn't yet used it on the "O". I think it just gives my simple banner a nice finishing touch. Very skippable though if you don't have this punch.

Step Five:
Punch two holes in the top of each of your triangles and thread your banner! Use ribbon, twine, yarn--whatever looks best!

Step Six:
Hang your banner and admire your creation!


Jodee said...

That turned out soooo cute! Way to go!

Debbie said...

Love it, very cute!

Teena in Toronto said...

That looks awesome ... and so easy!

Happy blogoversary :)

Bethany said...

may i ask the inane question as to how big your triangles were? :)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I'm sorry, Bethany, I don't remember! I just measured and found a size that looked good. Then I made a pattern and used that as my guide for the rest of the triangles. Not very helpful, I know!

~ Sarah