Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Easy Peasy Skirt Patterns

Last summer I sewed up some adorable little skirts for Princess. So cute and so easy! And, better yet, Princess LOVED them! As I think ahead (rather wistfully!) to spring and summer, I'm definitely planning on making her some more skirts.

This first skirt (the one that matches her Minnie shirt) was the easiest skirt ever! If you can sew a straight line, you can sew this skirt! It is the Oliver + S Lazy Days skirt and you can link directly to the pattern pdf here. Seriously, this is *easy* sewing! You use the full width of the fabric, from selvedge to selvedge (those are the finished edges of the fabric) and first sew your fabric into a tube. Then you fold over a waistband, stitch that, thread through some elastic, and close up that opening. Finally (and this is the BEST part!) you use some grosgrain ribbon to encase the hem! (That's the black edge you see on the polka dot skirt.) The end result is adorable, inexpensive, and super quick to make!
I also made this stripwork skirt for Princess. I used a pattern from Grace Violet and it was easy and adorable to make! I do also have this tutorial bookmarked that is very similar, except it also has a band of contrasting fabric around the hem. Stripwork skirts are so fun and twirly!

3 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cute cute skirts. These are on my to-do list. I finally ordered my sewing machine. I think it is going to be here this week!

I am so excited to make some! Yours are adorable!

XOXO
Jen

NewYorkerAtHeart said...

Thank you for being so generous and sharing! Hope you have a blessed day!

Heidi said...

I love those skirts! Especially the pieced one. Maybe someday I'll have a little girl to make some for:) Or maybe I'll make me one:)