Tuesday, January 26, 2010

From Christmas Clearance to Princess Perfect!

When I saw Beckie's beaded wreath I knew I had to try it! First stop, JoAnn fabrics where, sure enough, they had ugly rust colored bead garland in the 90% off Christmas clearance section. Woohoo! I also bought my wreath form there although I'm sure I could have saved 75% of the price if I'd gone to the dollar store...but I was feeling a bit lazy. Plus my little boy saw the wreaths and really wanted one to wear around the store. That was the clincher.
Beckie used floral pins to hold her garland in place. I used hot glue--my wreath form was so dense that the hot glue didn't melt it or anything. Floral pins probably are a better idea though because then you can adjust your garland. However, hot glue is what I had, so that's what I used!
My 12 inch wreath took 2.5 garlands. It was heavy when I was done! Phew!
Now Beckie is a bit more professional than me. Not only did she use floral pins to hold her garland in place...but she primed her wreath when she was done wrapping the garland. I did not prime. I was trying to get this done before naptime was over...so I took my wreath out to the driveway, put down a dropcloth, and sprayed on some pink spraypaint.
Then, after waiting as long as I could, I carefully flipped the wreath over onto some foil and sprayed the back side too. This mostly worked...in the end, only a small amount of paint came off the first side...so I decided that side would be the back.
Although I originally intended for this to be a Valentine decoration, it just didn't look quite right hanging in the playroom (too many primary colored toys!) but it does look great in Princess's room! The pink matches her room perfectly! I tied a grosgrain ribbon (from my stash) around the wreath and then hung the knot of ribbon from a nail. Then I tied a bow and hot glued it to the knot. Or maybe to the nail. Basically I just smooshed it up there where I thought it looked good and where it would cover the two extra nail holes I accidentally made.
Princess loves the new addition to her bedroom!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

good job it looks so good!

Kasey said...

I will be back to check your blog. You are so creative!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So cute. I love it!

XOOX
Jen

Darlene said...

That turned out so CUTE! Love where you hung it and I know the Princess loves it!♥

Sandra said...

Super cute wreath...very creative and it looks great on that painting wall. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find lots of vintage cards.

House of Smiths said...

SO SO cute! I LOVE it! What a great idea!
Shelley Smith

Infarrantly Creative said...

I knew you said you were making it but I never came back to see the finished product. I love the lighter pink. I linked it up!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

So pretty!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Oh how I love this! I'm sucker for all wreaths. I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my 'featured' button.

Angie Holden said...

That is gorgeous!!!

RuthAnne said...

Love it! I think one is going to have to go in my princess's room!

Jessica said...

Love this! I hopped on over from Angel/TaDa Creations' blog. Cute crafts :)

Kris said...

Oh my goodness, this is so stinkin' cute. I am making one of these this weekend. Thanks for sharing!