When I saw Beckie's beaded wreath I knew I had to try it! First stop, JoAnn fabrics where, sure enough, they had ugly rust colored bead garland in the 90% off Christmas clearance section. Woohoo! I also bought my wreath form there although I'm sure I could have saved 75% of the price if I'd gone to the dollar store...but I was feeling a bit lazy. Plus my little boy saw the wreaths and really wanted one to wear around the store. That was the clincher.
Beckie used floral pins to hold her garland in place. I used hot glue--my wreath form was so dense that the hot glue didn't melt it or anything. Floral pins probably are a better idea though because then you can adjust your garland. However, hot glue is what I had, so that's what I used!
My 12 inch wreath took 2.5 garlands. It was heavy when I was done! Phew!
Now Beckie is a bit more professional than me. Not only did she use floral pins to hold her garland in place...but she primed her wreath when she was done wrapping the garland. I did not prime. I was trying to get this done before naptime was over...so I took my wreath out to the driveway, put down a dropcloth, and sprayed on some pink spraypaint.
Then, after waiting as long as I could, I carefully flipped the wreath over onto some foil and sprayed the back side too. This mostly worked...in the end, only a small amount of paint came off the first side...so I decided that side would be the back.
Although I originally intended for this to be a Valentine decoration, it just didn't look quite right hanging in the playroom (too many primary colored toys!) but it does look great in Princess's room! The pink matches her room perfectly! I tied a grosgrain ribbon (from my stash) around the wreath and then hung the knot of ribbon from a nail. Then I tied a bow and hot glued it to the knot. Or maybe to the nail. Basically I just smooshed it up there where I thought it looked good and where it would cover the two extra nail holes I accidentally made.
Princess loves the new addition to her bedroom!