Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chalkboard Tray

I bought this silver tray at Goodwill for around $7 (it was the end of January...now I forget the exact price!) It is heavy enough to be real silver, but I suspect it is silverplate--not that it really matters. The cashier did comment on its heft though! It was a tarnished mess!
LOTS of tarnish, to say the least! It came off pretty easily though with silver polish and revealed some scratches on the surface of the tray. I would have been disappointed had I been buying this tray for something other than a craft project.
All sparkly! After cleaning it up, I painted it with some chalkboard paint that I had out in the garage. I didn't do a very good job though because I ended up with some tiny bubbles. I had big plans to hang this on the end of some of my cabinets, but it wasn't quite the right size...so it has been stuffed into a cupboard for a couple of months while I tried to figure out an alternate solution.
Today while at St. Vincent de Paul, I came across a really cute black plate holder--much cuter than the dollar store plate holders I had already tried. Better yet, it was only fifty cents! I've been updating my living room for spring and I think this fits in perfectly!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

oh it turned out great!!!

Jodee Leader said...

That turned out soooo cute!

Trish said...

Adorable!

Tammy James said...

Thats so cute!

jenjen said...

Cute Sarah! Hey, thanks for suggesting Target on Twitter yesterday -- I ended up going over there this morning and finding a quilt I love!

XOXO
Jen