Thursday, June 23, 2011

Butterfly Stained Glass Craft Tutorial


My children love craft projects and recently my little boy was fascinated by all things related to butterflies...so we decided to make stained glass butterflies to put up in the kitchen windows. We made these just like the stained glass crosses we made back in March--which still are up in the windows and looking beautiful!

First I cut out an outline of a butterfly out of black construction paper and adhered it to clear contact paper--I taped that down (sticky side up!) to the kitchen table so that it wouldn't move while my son worked on his project.

He filled the butterfly with squares of tissue paper. When he was done, I put another black butterfly outline over the top (to hide the tissue paper edges) and then covered the top with another layer of contact paper. At this point the butterfly is sandwiched between the contact paper. Then I trimmed the excess contact paper off and the project was done!

His butterfly is a bright and colorful addition to our window--perfect for summer!

Craft shared at: No Time for Flashcards

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Adorable, I love projects like this for the kids. TFS.

Zaira said...

great idea! need to get some contact paper!

Unknown said...

Wonderful idea! My oldest would love it... she's all about butterflies, so she would love this craft. Thanks for the great idea!

Jackie said...

What a wonderful simple project for the kids to do. I am going to add this to our list of things to do on a rainy day. Thanks for sharing such a great idea.

Jamie said...

Wow what a great idea! Those are so pretty. I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. :o)

Feel free to stop by anytime!

Jamie
For Love of Cupcakes

Mrs. L said...

Thanks for letting me know about both those errors. I have fixed them. Sorry. >.<
Life with Mrs. L

Free Image said...

Awesome creativity work. Great job. thanks for share it.Keep posting..