Anyhow, I had the bright idea of making blackberry freezer jam so that I can stop spending a small fortune buying jam at the grocery store. It was so simple and easy--I made it during the time it took for my husband to give the children a bath. The only downside to this is that it has a TON of sugar in it. Really, a TON of sugar. Hmmm.
Here is the recipe I used--it worked out perfectly!
3 pints blackberries (6 cups)
5 1/4 cups sugar
1 box Sure-Jell
- Mash berries (I used a potato masher) two cups at a time.
- Add sugar to crushed berries.
- Stir thoroughly and then let the mixture sit for ten minutes.
- Put pectin and 3/4 cup of water in a pan and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Boil for one minute.
- Add mixture to berries and stir for three minutes until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour mixture into containers--make sure you leave expansion room at the top of the container.
- Let your jam sit at room temperature overnight.
- Keeps in the fridge for approximately three weeks or up to a year in the freezer.