Feed these Caramel Bars to your children and your husband and they will be forever in your debt. (Plus if you feed them to other people you won't have to spend a week on the elliptical burning off all the calories you just consumed.) They are TDF good. Mmmmmmm!! I was going to take a picture of the panful of Caramel Bars before I cut into them...but I didn't have the willpower to hold out that long--so this is midway through the devouring process. My family LOVES these now!
I first found them on Christie's blog and have now made them twice. They are soooo yummy. If you have patience, they taste even better the second day.
Here is the recipe:
- Melt two sticks of butter
- Add: 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups flour, 2 cups oatmeal, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt
- Use your hands to mix it together--it will be crumbly
- Press half the dough into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan
- Bake at 325 for 20ish minutes (Christie says 17 minutes, but that didn't work for me)
- Remove from the oven and pour an entire jar of caramel sauce over it
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the caramel sauce
- Put your remaining dough over the top of everything
- Put it back in the oven for 20ish minutes (again, she says 17...but mine still was raw then
Here is Christie's recipe...her blog is fun and she has a number of recipes that will send you running for your elliptical after you try them! Whitney at My Journey Toward: The Glamorous Life of a Housewife has a variation on this recipe. I think the end result would be about the same...except that she put M&Ms on the top! Yum!! Oh, and Whitney is doing a fall giveaway of some cute plates! Go check her out!