Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lampshade Update...Again!

Last April I blogged about not really liking my lampshades (too big and too boxy) but not having much money in the budget to change them out. I made them palatable by adding some grosgrain ribbon...but still didn't really like them. The picture above doesn't quite demonstrate the boxy square shape of the shade, but you can get a sense of it.
Well, I still don't have much money in the budget to change them out to anything too nice...but when I found this deal at Ross, I figured I could find some spare change to cover the cost. $2.99 each--I saw the same lampshades (with a different label) at Target this week for over $12 each. Woohoo!
Just like before, I used grosgrain ribbon and my hot glue gun to spiff the lampshades up a bit.
It took about five minutes per lampshade and that was it! I like things to be simple, but the plain white shades were a bit too simple for me.
Simple, but I like the clean lines.
Ahh, much better! And, for $2.99 each, I won't feel bad about changing them out again in the future. (And yes, there still is a big empty space above my mantle...but look how cute my garland is!)

I added this post to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

That is a great idea! They look so pretty.

Darlene said...

I LOVE that lampshade and yes, for the price you could change them out when you wanted. I LOVE your hearts and THEY are taking center stage or as the case may be center "mantle".....hehehe

Hope you are having a wonderful evening.♥

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Very cute! I love how it looks now Sarah!

XOX
Jen

Erin said...

Hi Sarah!
So fun to hear from you on my blog. What a beautiful family you have! And I LOVE your heart garland on your mantle! Darling. I also loved your Fancy Nancy b-day party. We're big fans of Fancy Nancy around here as well. :)

Connie said...

I need to do that to one of my lampshades.

And I'm going to make one of those garlands as soon as I finish this pillow I'm working on.

House of Smiths said...

What a cute idea! I love it... and might have to copy you! lol
Shelley
Thanks for stopping by my blog! btw!
Shelley