Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wall Words ~ DIY Style!

...before...
Last week I posted a picture showing how I display some of my children's artwork on a curtain rod above the piano in our playroom. The curtain rod works beautifully for us, however the height looks a bit high. Still, I like the rod placement because it means my little boy isn't tempted to pull at the artwork on display.

I've been considering a few options to make the wall space "disappear" between the artwork and the piano. Ultimately I decided on a vinyl wall quote. As I was Googling and browsing etsy, I realized that I could use my new Cricut Expression and cut my own vinyl. Keep in mind I haven't used my Cricut for ANY project yet. Still, I was looking at spending $15-40 on wall words...making it myself would cost a lot less.
After a bit of research, I decided that I should go for it. Yes, I'm a researcher--I like knowing my options! I ordered my vinyl from Expressions Vinyl. They sell vinyl in strips and rolls--I opted for the strips because they ship faster than the rolls and once I decide on a project, I want it done immediately! Ultimately this project took 2.5 strips of black vinyl ($1.89 a strip x3 = $5.67) and two strips of transfer tape ($1.99 x2 = $3.98) The total cost of the supplies I used for this = $7.56 Not bad, especially since I ended up doing seven inch tall vinyl.
...after...
It isn't perfect, but I'm really happy with it. (And yes, I still have my Valentine decorations up!) I did it all myself and learned a lot about my Cricut in the process--including that I still have a lot to learn! And, it achieves my purpose in grounding the curtain rod and closing in the expanse of wall.

Post added to the Makeover Party at Sanctuary Arts at Home and to I Heart my Crafty Cutter at Serenity Now!

15 comments:

Tammy said...

I love the font and words you chose.

Unknown said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

It looks perfect to me! I would consider it a privilege to have my artwork displayed there!

Trish said...

That looks great, Sarah!

Anna said...

that looks really cute, I like the font you chose

Shannon said...

Perfect! I love the saying and font!!

Erin said...

Looks so good! I love the way you display your kids' art. What great ideas!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

That is the perfect touch! Great job.

Connie said...

I love that! The curtain rod and the letters! Great job!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Sarah - you are so creative. What a cute wall!

XOOX
Jen

Kelli W said...

I have been wondering about doing vinyl with my cricut! I just got one about a month ago...and I am still learning how to use it! Thanks for sharing! BTW, I love the curtain rod idea. We have a clothes line hanging in our back hallway for kids art, but I like your curtian rod better:)

Infarrantly Creative said...

I think it looks great. I need to break down one of these days and buy a Cricut or something.

The Shopping Mama said...

I love it! I think it turned out really well.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh my word! Those letters look so perfect that at first I thought they'd been Photoshopped in. Great job! Love that fun font. :) I think the stars on the one end are perfect!

Thanks so much for joining my Crafty Cutter party. :) Have fun finding some crafty inspiration, and I hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon. :) I have a new Silhouette project up today! :)

Anonymous said...

Where did you get your Cricut expression machine! That looks awesome, I would love one of those!