Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine Decorations

My house is all decorated for Valentine's Day and looks so cute with all the pops of red. I don't go all out for this holiday, but I've been adding a few more items each year. This year I mostly added homemade items. The picture above is my "formal" living room. On the black armoire (which used to hold our computer and now mostly is empty) is the red love sign I made last year.
This tray (from Target!) is on the living room coffee table. In it I put a candle and a few children's books about love from around the house.
And, of course, I brought back out the wedding pictures that had been tucked away during Christmas. We celebrate our ninth wedding anniversary this summer!
Our playroom is directly behind the living room sofa in what used to be the dining room. I have our piano in there and am a nervous wreck about it! The piano is a relatively new addition to our home and is the piano my mom and aunts used when they were little. It isn't anything fancy, but it is in pristine condition and has a lot of sentimental value. I think I'm going to have to get foam to wrap around the legs--it will be unattractive, but at least the piano will be a bit safer! At any rate, these garden cherubs and Mod Podge cardboard letters are on top of the piano. I painted the back and sides of the cardboard letters (from Michaels) with red paint and then Mod Podged scrapbook paper on the front.
My antique wooden spools are in the kitchen window. The red ribbon wrapped around them is leftover from Christmas--I thought it still applied, even in February! The little acrylic block with a heart is a Goodwill find from this year. My little guy fell in love with it, so I gave in and added it to our decor.
I made this "floating" heart decoration on Friday night before dinner. I first saw the idea on One Pretty Thing and thought it was so cute! It was free to make too, as I used clear thread, cardstock, and a glue stick from my stash. I love free! Looks cute with my Target placemats, too! (Yes, they're vinyl placemats--my children love them and they're easy to clean!)
Here's a look into the family room. I've told you about the garland already. The dresser has apothecary jars with Valentine candies as well as a Valentine candle.
This is a closer look at the little table on the far side of the family room. That's my sweet boy last year at Valentine's Day--the frame was $1 at Michael's a few months ago and the cute little birdhouse is from Target this year.
That's about it! We're loving the heart explosion around here!

6 comments:

Jodee said...

Your house looks soooo festive! You have such great taste!

Karri said...

Love it all!!! So festive.
I went out too late for an XOXO....those letters were all sold out. Imagine that. lol.

Will your 2 be taking piano lessons?? I don't have a piano w/ history, but surprisingly, there's nary a mark on it, despite having matchbox cars fly through that room. The 2 who don't take piano yet know not to touch it or they will be in trouble.

Shannon said...

I love all of your touches of red! So festive!

Darlene said...

It all looks beautiful. You are all decked out and ready for Valentine's Day now!! Enjoy your evening.♥

Erin said...

What a great idea to set out books about "love!" I am totally going to do that! May have to pick up some Target placemats too...I have some Halloween and Christmas ones and they are the best for kiddos! Thanks for the fun ideas. Your house looks darling!

Jenni said...

Your home looks wonderful and definitely ready for Valentine's Day! I love the tray, it is darling! Your heart decorations are so pretty on your chandelier, too! Oh, and that amazing heart garland! I really wanted to "copy" you on that, but think it will have to be next year now! :)

Well, everything is lovely and I hope your day is, too! Hopefully you are getting some of this sunshine! :)