Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chores

I recently added a new chore to the list for 4.5 year old Princess--she now is in charge of unloading the clean silverware from the dishwasher. Why did I wait so long to give her this chore? She LOVES it! The other night she practically was in tears because my husband was putting the silverware away. Crazy. What's even better is that Handsome is insanely jealous that Princess "gets" to do this job. She really wants to unload the rest of the dishwasher, but she's not tall enough to put anything into the cupboards yet. Sometimes as a "treat", I'll let her unload some of the plastic stuff onto the counter.
I'm going to have such a rude awakening in a few years when she realizes that unloading the dishwasher really isn't anything to be all that thrilled about. In the meantime though I'm going to enjoy it!

8 comments:

Tausha said...

maybe if I change the way I ask them to do jobs it would go more smoothly.
Maybe i should say-You get to do this-like you and I wouldn't have to hear whining complaining and tantrums.
Yea yea, I know we really need to go back to school.

Rae said...

I love it! The helping stage is sooo nice! I hope she stays in it for a good long while!!

Jessica said...

See, my boys want to help unload the dishwasher, but I have a certain way that I like it done and I'm too much of a control freak to let them do it! :) It was a big step for me to let them make their own beds....bad mommy, I know (but I'm working on it!) :) ~Jessica

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Oh Jessica, I am the ULTIMATE control freak! I taught Katie how to put the silverware away exactly the way that I like it to be done. It helps that I'm also a control freak about how things go into the dishwasher--so everything already is organized for her.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Oh, my daughter gets such satisfaction out of unloading the dishwasher! Good new for you is, shes almost 7 and hasnt figured it out yet! Im hoping I can keep up the Marry Poppins Game a little while longer! :) So you still have a few years.

Marie said...

She can come do it at my house! NOBODY likes to empty the dishwasher around here. Maybe because emptying it means you have to check EVERY dish and utensil for things that weren't washed off. Gross, I know. lol

Anonymous said...

How cute is she? I just now gave my eight year old that job too. I was a little hesitant but my daughter begged me to make him help her.

Blanca

Darla said...

HAHAHHAHA very true! Our 11 year old used to BEG to mow the yard...now=notsomuch.