Monday, August 18, 2008

Mistreatments

In the words of The Nester...

Mistreatment: (n). covering for a window that is quick, cheap and pretty. may or may not need hardware does not require sewing. a real designer's worst nightmare.

Mistreating: (v). the act of treating a window with dignity and respect without use of the following: hundreds of dollars, sewing, time, crying, divorce, child neglect...
Join the Mistreatment Party today over at Nesting Place!

My kitchen flows through to my family room with a small eating area in between the kitchen and family room. It is a nice area, but not at all spacious, so I want the window treatments in the area to go together--there is one window above the kitchen sink, a sliding door next to the kitchen table, and a huge long window in the family room.

We moved here almost five years ago and I immediately took down the vertical blinds that were on all three windows--I can't stand those things! The windows were naked until June when I started mistreating them. Oh, and I put up wood blinds on the big long family room window...but now I need to save up money to put those on the other windows--those are expensive!

Anyhow, I'm not sure I like my mistreatments. Maybe that's because I really don't like valances (well, except for the cute one in my daughter's room) and these mistreatments essentially are valances. I'd love to do long panels on the sliding door, but that isn't practical seeing as my two year old can reach the door from his highchair. Those would be a hot mess in no time flat.

Another reason I'm not sure I like my mistreatments is my mom's reaction to them. She came in my house and commented on how I did something with my windows. I explained my mistreatments and awaited her opinion--I thought she'd really like the faux roman shade in the family room. Um, no. Her comment was "well, I really like the wood blinds you put up before." And that was that. Ouch.

Soooo...all this blathering is to ask you to be very honest with your opinions! Tell me what you think and give me constructive advice, please! I have to adjust the mistreatments anyhow because they're all at different heights (I was trying to see what height I like best) and that doesn't work for me.

Oh and yes, I've posted some of these pictures before--but I hadn't done the sliding door then.

Here is my kitchen window before (I love strawberries, can you tell?)

And here it is now. This mistreatment is too high (unfortunately!) as compared to my sliding door, so it needs to move down a touch...at least that will hide the alarm sensor on the window a bit more.

Here is a (bad!) picture of my sliding door. See, this totally looks like a wimpy little valance above the door. I'm not liking this at all. Plus it needs to be moved down because you can see the top edge of the door too much.

Here is the family room window--this is a faux roman shade that I did using straight pins and drapery clips. I like this one the best of the three mistreatments, but I'm not sure that hanging it from drapery clips on nails is working for me. Eh, truthfully I'm not sure about anything with these three window treatments!

35 comments:

Aja Jenise said...

I love it girl... give yourself more credit... it looks awesome... at least from my computer it does!! You did quite well... now I am a little more ready and willing to get mine done! A+ chica!!

Aja Jenise said...

ok I looked again... ands read what you actually wrote... put your mama in the closet and lock the door!! Cause you ROCK!! It really does look amazing... Now you can adjust them to the same height and puff up your feathers girl cause your nest is looking splendid!!

Aja
SE Kansas

These Are The Days said...

I likey! Love looking at all these mistreatments, good job.

Shellie said...

Very, very nice. I'm loving the red!

The Berry's Patch said...

I'm such a red girl. Love those treatments.

sassy seamstress said...

Don't be silly. i think they are all fabulous. They really do look great. don't change a thing!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Awesome! Especially the kitchen view. I'll bet you love doing dishes! Also, sorry about the disappointment on my page. Too bleary-eyed at one in the morning to read the rules correctly! And I don't know how to delete from Mr. Linky! Arggh!

The Nester said...

girl, it looks great--hot glue fringe to the bottom--esp the one that seems too high--it will hide everything and make it look so finished!

You could even add panels next to the big window too!

Julie Willis said...

I like the last one with drapery clips. It gives it not so formal/casual look!

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

Okay, I totally love it. L-O-V-E, love it!

Shannon said...

I got my snack plate sets at flea market and antique stores. I didn't find any at thrift stores. I have paid anywhere from $1.00 per plate to $15 for a set of 4 plates and 4 cups. The most expensive I saw was a set of 4 for $20. I didn't get them because I thought that was a little steap. I hope you find some!!

Whitney said...

This site is just SO cute. I love the title to your blog....so much fun. :)

I will definitely stop by more often!! Thanks for joining the contest!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

I like these! Drapery clips are my friend, especially now that I know about them. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! I love the roman shade. Thanks for stopping by!

Katina said...

Thanks for your comment. I love your mistreatments, especially the faux roman shade!

Amy said...

LOVE the roman shade idea! can you come over and help me with mine? ha ha. great work!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very pretty! Thanks for stopping by, hope you'll come back again.

Rhoda

Melissa said...

I think the kitchen looks much more polished and neat with the treatment~good job! I love your choice of fabrics also!

Mimi Sue said...

I think the pictures look great. Anyway, you know what the great Nester says "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." Thanks for stopping by my blog. So fun!

joelandbecca said...

I love the ones in the kitchen. Sliding glass doors are so hard to cover and still be accessable (is that a word?) anyway-you did a great job!

Nicole said...

Your treatments look great. I love the ones in your living room. If your sick of the nails go get some cabinet knobs from home depot, you know me I use them with everything. The ones in your kitchen look great also, those plates were pretty also.

Anonymous said...

Love the faux roman shade...nice job!

Bonita said...

Very nice work!

Carry Grace said...

I love the ones in your family room!

Angela said...

Your mistreatments look great! I especially love the faux roman shade.

Connie said...

The roman shades look great. Very believeable, workable roman shades. That's what you were going for and they turned our wonderful.
Thanks for stopping by.
~Connie

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Beautiful mistreatments!! And I have to say I just ove the name of your blog, it is so creative! Thanks for visiting me today, too!
-Carrie

abeachcottage said...

well I think you did a great job, especially the faux blind one, don't ask your mama next time lol!

enjoy the mistreatment party

Twice as Nice said...

You did a great job on your mistreatments and the roman shade is nester quality. Excellent!

Hannah E. said...

These are very cute!

Marie said...

The roman shade in your living room is great! It's my favorite! Maybe you could add something to the bottom of the one that is too high so you don't have to move it? Don't be so hard on yourself...your mistreatments are great!! (says the girl who uses SHEETS! lol)

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

You did a really great job! I especially like the roman shade! :)

Katie said...

hey! I love that you jumped right in and did up 3 windows! great job!
I hate that you don't love them yourself- they look great from my perspective ;)

Laura said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your roman shade the best! And you said to be honest - so here goes: the plates above the kitchen window (your "before" pic) are really super! I think I'd leave those and have no window mistreatments at all.

Ame... said...

Thanks for your comment! Your mistreatments turned out great!