Friday, June 6, 2008

Barn Stars

I've been busy decorating at home! On Wednesday I painted and hung some barn stars--almost all of which I bought off eBay as they seem to be scarce in my neck of the woods. I used the Nester's painting technique -- aka I painted with my fingers and Bounty papertowels. Boy oh boy did that make clean up a breeze! No paint brushes or anything of that sort to deal with! The stars started out a mix of colors; one was red, most were black, one was cream and one was yellowish. I painted them with a mix of white and blues.



The first picture is my formalish (really there isn't much formal about it!) living room with nothing on the wall above the armoire.

And, obviously, the second picture is of my freshly painted and displayed barn stars! I love them! The top of the armoire still needs some decorating, but this is major progress. It is nice to have some color on the walls. Next I need my husband to cut me some wood that I can paint black and fit inside those little display ledges off to the side of the armoire. The village of houses displayed there is my husband's hometown in Massachusetts...but right now they're recessed into the shelves a bit and I'd really like them to sit up a bit.

9 comments:

The Nester said...

Oh heavens! Now that is impact! You balanced them perfectly and painted them imperfectly perfect!

Nice work! I love it!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Awww, thanks! I'm really happy with them and I appreciate you convincing me I didn't really need to get my foam brushes out--Bounty and my fingers was all I needed!

~ Sarah

Shannon said...

WOW! These look great! What a great place to hang them too.

Sondra said...

Those turned out SO GREAT! Hey~I need some decorating help ovah here.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Kitty Scraps said...

Looks great!

As for your village on your shelves, you might could elevate it with flat-ish empty jewerly boxes turned upside down...Something thin, light weight, and easily found around your house. I bet you have something somewhere that you just hadn't though of using. That's what I do when I need to elevate things I'm displaying, I start walking around the house, peeking into drawers and closets searching for anything that might work.

Tausha said...

Ok-this is absoulately darling! I have never thought to have a bunch of barn stars together! Genius woman, genius!

Marie said...

I LOVE your barn stars! I have quite a few myself. I love them. Your display is really, really great!

Anonymous said...

Where are people finding these awesome stars? I need some for crafts and I am having a horrible time finding them anywhere?? Thanks!!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Theresa, I bought some of mine on eBay and I think I found one at JoAnn Fabrics. Since then, I found some on clearance at Rite Aid at the end of the summer (red/white/blue stars) and have those in my garage, waiting for a future project.