Friday, June 13, 2008

My favorite wall

My house has many walls but only one of them is my favorite. I love this wall--I smile every time I see it. Sometimes my husband sees me sitting on the family room couch and says "you're looking at the wall again, aren't you." He's a smart man--he knows I love that wall!



I love the collage of my children, I love the nice uniform grouping, and I love that this was an ultra-low budget project. I did this project back in very early December and I love it just as much now as I did in December. Prior to December I had the frames up in a collage, but the arrangement was different (more random) and I didn't have the darker brown paint behind the frames.

The week before Princess's 4th birthday party I decided that I *had* to redo the wall. My husband is a patient man and humored me. He used the laser level and painters tape and taped off the wall according to the vision I had in my head. Then I grabbed the sample can of paint that I had for our master bedroom and used that to paint the darker brown. After lots of touch-up, we hung the frames back up (and I finally updated the pictures!) and voila! My favorite wall was born!

(I'm linking this older post to Homebody Holly's Pottery Barn Knock-Off Party -- this wall was inspired by pictures in the Pottery Barn catalogue although I bought the frames from Ikea.)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see why you love that wall so much! You pride and joy is all over it.... Great job, Susie H

Tausha said...

So I was lurking on your blog-I love love love your wall! What a great idea! You are full of those. Between your mistreatments, your stars and now your wall-Can i be your friend?
I just have one question-how long did it take to paint that. I can't paint a straight line to save my life-so this would take me forever! Love love love it! Did i mention that? Did I mention that I want to copy it? I hope that you don't mind. I do live all the way in Utah-so hopefully it should be ok! :) I'll be back to see what other incredible ideas you come up with!
Ps-your fridge is so clean it make me sick! Please tell me it doesn't look like this all the time! Also-your little girls cupcake apron is super cute!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Thanks for the visit, Susie! :)

Tausha, copy away! I think my wall is a spinoff of a wall I saw in a Pottery Barn catalogue!

My husband used his laser level to do a line on the wall, then we used painters tape to tape the line off. It would have been relatively quick to do except that the paint bled under the tape (our walls are textured) and I had to use a teeny tiny paintbrush to touch up...that took forever!

There is an easy fix to that though--after you tape things off, paint over the edges of the tape with the wall color, NOT your new color. That way the paint that bleeds under the tape will be the "right" color. After that paint dries, then go ahead and paint the color you actually want the square to be.

Did that make sense? Let me know if I'm being confusing!

~ Sarah

Tabitha said...

Ooooh, I can see how you spend so much time gazing!! I need to do that. So many pictures and I'm not even enjoying them. Great idea!!!

Jen said...

I can't tell. Are the pics b/w? I think they are and I love the way it looks with the brown. I was thinking about taking my colored pictures out of their frames and replacing with all b/w. Very nice!! I love your wall too!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Thank you! Yes, all the pictures are black and white and I took all of them myself except for one (top right corner). The frames are black with white mats from Ikea.

~ Sarah

Rae said...

Lovin' this! I do not have ONE SINGLE picture of my kids or family hanging in my house. It's never really been my decorating style. BUT I'm totally digging this. This just might make it into my house!!! Thanks for the great idea!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love this! I'd be staring at it all the time, too! -Julia :-)

Jamie said...

I love how you framed your pictures with the paint border. Very cute! And thanks for your comment on my blog.

manda said...

looks great!

I am Mom said...

I am SO doing a wall like this! Thanks for sharing it!

Amy Jo said...

Hi! I saw your link from Heidi's blog. That wall looks great! I have a grouping of 9 12x12 frames that I want to hang on a large wall in my living room. I think painting a back drop would help define the space. Great Idea!

Holly said...

I love this! It looks so good with the paint treatment behind it; I can see why you sit and stare at it!
Thanks for joining my party :)