Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The "Formal" Living Room



Lara over on The Lazy Organizer is doing a "Talk About Tuesday" and this month it will be a tour of people's homes. I *love* getting a peek into other people's homes! Today I'm opting to talk about my formal living room. It is the first room you see when you walk into my home and it opens right into the formal dining room.

Ahhh, the "formal" living room and dining room. I like the living room couches and chair...but the rest of it is kind of blah...too formulaic in the living room, if you know what I mean. Last week I bought some blue/white/yellow striped fabric to make new throw pillows for the couch and chairs--I think that will help freshen things up a bit. And, as a bonus, the fabric is decorator weight fabric marked down to $9.99 a yard from $19.99! Woohoo!

Ignore the oak framed mirror and wall candles you can see off to the right of the picture. I dislike all of those pieces and want to change them out. Heck, I want to change out the whole dining room! I'll save that for another post though.

I do have some barn stars I want to put up on the wall (ala The Nester) but I'm not sure where to position them--should they be over the armoire or centered under the peak of the ceiling? Decisions, decisions! The armoire, by the way, houses our office stuff--desktop computer, wireless modem hub, envelopes, bills, and my husband's clutter. The little table to the right of the armoire isn't usually there--usually it is a petite round black table...but we bought a new family room couch and I needed to borrow the cute little black table for that room.

I do want to add a tray to the coffee table so that I can add some decorative items to the table. I also think the round table between the armchairs needs some pizazz. Maybe a contrasting piece of fabric over the tablecloth and some more frames and such on top.

One thing you can't see very well in the living room picture is the antique Wedgwood plate I have hanging on the wall. I love the plate--it has a picture of the chapel at my college alma mater...the place where my husband and I were married almost seven years ago. LOVE that plate!

12 comments:

Mrs. O said...

I think those pillows will great in there. Have fun redoing your room.

The Happy Housewife said...

That room is really peaceful. I love the high ceilings and the way the light comes in. I would be spending a lot of my time in that room!
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com

Jen Stewart said...

Nice! Ilove that high ceiling! So wishing I had that over here!

Richelle said...

That is a really nice room!

The Nester said...

Hello! Thank you so much for inviting me over! Your blog looks like you have been here forever with your pretty header!

So, you said that you didn't really like the mirror in the dining area--take it down, now! If you don't like something--just take it away--better is an empty wall than a wall with something you don't love. Isn't that in Proverbs or something?

Once that is down, maybe you want your stars there. how big or small are they? how many do you have? get some upholstery tacks that leave tiny holes and then put them in a few different places, maybe even take a few photos and see what you like best!

I love your chairs and sofa and you have great taste--what a nice room to work with!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Thank you all so much for your visits!

Nester, I never thought of putting the barn stars in place of that mirror. Hmmm. I'll have to ponder that. I'd been thinking of taking the mirror down and putting up my collection of strawberry plates there instead--I'm getting tired of having them in my kitchen, plus I think they'll be in the way when I mistreat my kitchen window and hang up my rag garland.

What do you (I'm hoping you come back again!) think about hanging the stars either over the armoire or under the peak of the roof?

~ Sarah

Sarah Taylor said...

Sarah,
Your blog is lovely! You have a great space to work with! I think that your barn stars would look charming under the peak, they might create a nice seperation between your rooms or a way to tie them together. I'm with the Nester on trying them out in all 3 places (and more!) to see what you like best! I hope you'll keep us updated and look forward to visiting again!
Sarah

Tausha said...

I found you from Nicole-i was drawn by your freakin; cute blog name! It is darling! I love the color scheme in your living room. I have my own re-design business. It's a decorating business with a spin. We (my mom and I) come into your home and redo the rooms with your things and maybe a couple of purchases. Our goal is to make your house a home and it it ends up looking like a magizine-that is definately a plus! So-your Tuesay theme looks way fun and I hope you don't mind if i participate too. i love getting ideas from other friends!
I just wanted to help with some of your questions. Your stars would be darling up abouve the armoire-or if you hate that mirror and candles-they would be super cute there too. Your plain white tables would be super cute with some of the fabric that you bought for your pillows on the top. then it would tie the whole thing in and you wouldn't have to buy anything. i love your couches and can't wait to see the pillows. The hight ceilings are fabulous! So-thanks for the idea on the tuesday post and I hope you don't mind if I come back and visit! have afantastic night!

Tausha said...

I just thought of one more thing that is super cheap and would make a change that i am pretty sure that you like. Go and get a throw (a blanket) with texture. They have them at wal-mart for like 15$ they always go on clearance. If you are a thrifter-that is a great place to get them too-just wash really well when you get home. (i just watched a show on bedbugs last night-i am a little paranoid! sorry"( I have throws everywhwere! i use them as tablecloths all the time! they are cheap and a fun change! Please come by and say hi-I have some fun posts on mine about decorating and some grea links to some really taletned ladies. I spend way too much on the computer because of all you people!

Rae said...

Hey Sarah, thanks for directing me towards "Talk About Tuesday". What a fun idea!!

Blogger said...

I love the ceilings, wow!

You might want to post the pic over at HGTV's "Rate My Space"..you will get a ton of opinions over there, warning, some people are brutally honest, lol...but I still take my chances and post over there when I need some ideas.

I love the Nester!!!!

I just started a new blog myself, but I have no idea how to 'make it pretty'. Do you know of any websites that can help me learn?

Your house and family are lovely!

Bella

Lara said...

I think it's lovely. I haven't even begun decorating my living room so you are way ahead of me!