Thursday, June 26, 2008

Homemade Playdough


I made playdough for Princess and Handsome the other day and they thought it was fabulous!! Princess especially was amazed that I could turn flour and salt into glorious playdough! And, as a bonus, when I added the food coloring, we talked about what color the playdough would become--she correctly predicted that yellow and red mixed together would make orange. My little smarty-pants.

Next time I'll have the children help me with this--this time around they were busy eating breakfast while I was making this for them. It was pretty quick and easy to do and not too messy either.

Here is the recipe I used for our homemade playdough:
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of salt
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 cups of water
  • food coloring
Put everything except the food coloring in a pot and heat it up while stirring constantly. After a little while it will become difficult to stir. Dump it out onto a floured surface and knead the dough. Add your food coloring--and presto! You have playdough! Store it in a tightly covered container or it will dry out.

I split my dough in half and colored half blue and half orange. I used food coloring to color my dough but I know some people use kool-aid packets. I've never bought kool-aid in my life so I didn't have any of that on hand.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

THis looks fun! Why have you never bought Kool Aid? :) It is so good and you can get sugar free! You better order that stamp set....after shipping it was still under $20. I thought that was a good deal!

Unknown said...

I love playdough...And homemade.. thats a plus! Susie H~

Heidi said...

I've really been meaning to make homemade playdough. I know the boys would absolutely love it. Thanks for the recipe!